Sunday, November 25, 2018

156. Reluctant Goals


Three students are discussing a class assignment (Time Management, Paper III – Goal Setting)

Girl: I am writing dieting as my Reluctant Goal.

Boy 1: Me too.

Boy 2: Are you reluctant to diet?

Boy 1: I never get around to doing it, no matter how many times I plan.

Boy 2: That means it is a difficult goal, but is it a Reluctant Goal?

Girl: Reluctant Goal means you do not really want to do it.

Boy 2: Even though you are adding it to your to-do list.

Girl: Yes, even though. And then you do not really feel bad that you have not done it.

Boy 1: Well, maybe I really do not want to diet. I only think I should.

Boy 2: Then it is a Reluctant Goal for you, but that is not what she meant.

Girl: I really want to cut down on carbs, only it never happens.

Boy 2: Morning walks for me is a Reluctant Goal. I often talk about doing it but deep down I know I am not much fascinated by the idea. So I never do it and I do not feel bad about it.

Boy 1: Then it is a Reluctant Goal for you by definition. And the same thing happens with my dieting, so I am going to write dieting for me.

Girl: But I feel bad about not controlling what I eat. You know what, I would actually go low-carb if such food was readily available. It is just so much easier to make rice or rotis with a sabzi after a long day at work.

Boy 1: If you were staying at home you would probably follow a diet.

Girl: Yes, definitely. This is not my Reluctant Goal. This is just a difficult thing to do. I think for me learning to drive will be a Reluctant Goal. My sister knows how to drive and she pesters me, so I say yes I will. But I really do not like the idea of me driving and never actually try to learn. And I do not feel bad about it.

Boy 2: Don’t want and don’t feel bad. So, that is your Reluctant Goal by definition. Write it down.

Boy 1: I often think about catching up with old friends. Somehow I never get the time. Do you think that is a Reluctant Goal for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment