Monday, September 10, 2018

80. Different Parts of The Brain


A father and his daughter are talking at home. The daughter is attending the Time Management course at NILS.

Daughter: Are you having breakfast now?

Father: Yes, why?

Daughter: You cannot have it on the sofa. Come to the table.

Father: Why?

Daughter: I need to do an experiment. Please come here and sit at the table.

(The father looks worried, but moves over to the table.)

Daughter: Have you already read the newspaper?

Father: No. Why?

Daughter: You have to read it while eating your breakfast.

Father: Alright. Give me the paper.

(The daughter hands over the paper and switches on the TV to a news channel. She keeps the channel muted.)

Daughter: You are to read the sports news from the paper and follow the general news on TV.

Father: Simultaneously?

Daughter: Yes and keep eating your breakfast.

Father: What is going on?

Daughter: I am doing an experiment on Multitasking. It is in our syllabus.

Father: Multitasking is a common thing. What can you possibly learn in a course about it?

Daughter: We have learned how to optimize Multitasking. The trick is to use different processing parts of the brain simultaneously instead of overloading the same part. Which means you cannot do many similar tasks at the same time, but you can do many fundamentally different tasks.

Father: What types of different tasks?

Daughter: I have chosen five such tasks. First, eating. For that you are having breakfast. Second, reading. For that I have given you the newspaper. Third, observing. For that I have switched on the TV in mute.

Father: What are the other two?

Daughter: Listening and speaking. Now I will sit down and tell you a story about my friend. You have to listen to me and comment on it. But you cannot stop reading the paper or following the news.

Father: I am supposed to read a paper, watch news headlines, listen to your stories and comment on them? Am I mad?

Daughter: And eat breakfast. That’s it. This should be fairly easy. All are happening in different parts of the brain. Shall we start?

No comments:

Post a Comment